>>>I.o.w. is it still necessary to have RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" as a
>>>default or can we move to a pure udev system and change the default to
>>>"no".
>>>

>>I've been running my boxes successfully with "no" since the option
>>showed up just fine :)
>>

>I think people is under a misconception about this option and ... you
>really only need to enable this for a driver that is not sysfs aware
>(nvidia comes to mind - any others?), or if you have some custom nodes
>in /dev that you cannot do via udev ...  And I am pretty sure (correct
>me if I am wrong) that all (or most?) in-kernel drivers are sysfs aware,
>and only a handful outside are not.

Well, I do have a small issue with the software RAID (md) driver, in
that when autodetection is not performed by the driver (due to either
being a module or booting the system through an initramfs), no sysfs
entries or device nodes are created.

Normally my RAID system is brought up inside my initramfs with static
nodes, so this really only affects my recovery CD, where I need to run:

    for d in 0 1 2 3; do
        /sbin/mdadm --assemble --config=partitions --auto=md
--super-minor=$d /dev/md$d >/dev/null 2>&1
    done

Maybe something similar will be required in /sbin/rc, like you currently
do for LVM and the device mapper?  It isn't a critical problem
though...I am pretty sure there are only a few Gentoo users who will
ever see this...maybe as few as 1!!!

-Richard