On Wednesday 27 July 2005 11:05, Alec Warner wrote:

> Recent discussion on this ML and on the portage-ml as well as
> #gentoo-portage regarding pkg_warn() and the basic concept behind it.
> We talked about adding new functionality, about adding a warning section
> to the ebuild or to the metadata.  However.  all of these tend to have
> problems.  The dev won't write the extra function, duplication of data
> in pkg_{post/pre}inst, mangling of metadata.xml.

Quicker closer than me! ;)

> Portage current features the -l switch, to show changelogs.  It works
> pretty well to show changes in packages prior to emerging.  For example,
> emerge -uDpvl world -> shows what will emerge then shows the changelogs
> for each package.  For a very large set of packages the output can be
> overwhelming, however all the changelogs are provided and the user at
> least has data to parse through.

"The dev won't write the extra function"
Same problem, no?

Not sure what you meant by "duplication of data" or "mangling of metadata.xml"
but I still don't see why pkg_warn() can't work. Those that are writing stuff
in pkg_postinst() presently can use pkg_warn() and feel warm and fuzzy knowing
that more people are making use of the information. Those that don't make use
of it? No different to not making use of pkg_postinst().

If you could explain what you meant by the other two listed issues?

--
Jason Stubbs