On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:23:37 -0400 Alec Warner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| > Hrmmmmm. Is this going to be sanely doable by your average dev? How
| > long a dep string would we be having in typical cases? How about in
| > bad cases?
| >
|   The more formal the depstring, the quicker the packages build (
|   using
| only needed packages instead of lumping them in one group ).  This is
| essentially what the DEPEND should be, just what the packages needs to
| compile and run.  This especially benefits embedded targets who need a
| bare-bones set of libraries and nothing else.

The problem is... By hard-coding a bunch of xorg packages, you're making
your DEPEND *less* accurate. Most packages will build just fine with
other X implementations.

Mmm, but for now this is pretty much a pointless argument. We're not a
real metadistribution yet :)

|   I think concepts are important and abstract complexity from a
|   packages
| DEPEND.  However, having the DEPEND be accurate is important as well.
| This almost reeks of the USE group GLEP being applied here as well.
| Setting up DEPEND-set would be great for this, although it is
| difficult to imagine sets that can be shared between many packages.
| eclasses are marginally decent for this right now anyway.

GLEP 37 allows that, in effect.

Speaking of GLEP 37... Jason -- I'm assuming that virtual-x11/ (say)
would be possible?

|   The problem with the individual approach is if I wanted to run
|   XFree,
| or a competing X implementation, I have to add about 200+ packages to
| /etc/portage/package.provided.  This is not clean at all; it's
| hideous. If I add the meta-build to /etc/portage/package.provided it
| just means that I am managing the meta-ebuild and it is valid to count
| it as installed for dep calculation.  This is not true of any of the
| dependencies of the meta-ebuild however.  Thats just what I remember
| fro m discussion about it, so correct me if it's wrong ;)

Providing a specific metapackage is a bad idea. What if a package really
does depend upon xorg? Providing a specific concept would be better.
Whether such a thing is implementable currently is up for debate...

--
Ciaran McCreesh