On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 01:17:50PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
> On 27/8/2005 10:42:25, Brian Harring ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Hola all.
> >
> > Straight to the point, I'm proposing that the following files-
> > arch.list
> > categories
> > use.desc
> > use.local.desc
> > package.mask
> > updates
> >
> > be moved out of the profiles directory in the tree
>
> Not sure about package.mask.  I thought that was part of the profile,
> as different profiles might package.mask separately.  I know I use it
> in /etc/profile to postpone updates.
Rough filtering stack-
profiles/package.mask
/etc/make.profile/package.mask (incremental through subprofiles)
users package.mask, and users package.unmask

Ordered it in that fashion to show that it's effectively repository
filtering, profile filtering, user filtering; if you view it as
seperate entities with filters stacked up (how the rewrite implements
it), package.mask being repository metadata becomes clear.

Basically, think of it this way; what files/data *must* stay with a
repository?  If I'm using (say) gentopia ebuilds, the p.mask they use
is specific to _their_ repository; my official gentoo repository
should not be p.mask'ing there stuff, it should only affect itself,
and any repository that is slaved to it (overlays, which aren't stand
alone).

At least that's what I think :)
~harring