On Thursday 01 September 2005 20:02, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Take a look at how sparc and mips currently handle packages which will
> run on some CPU kinds or ABIs but not others.
xine-lib, was not compiling on sparc32 (as there's a bug open), wasn't working
on sparc64 (sigbus) until 1.1.0... all the versions are marked ~sparc ..

Why I still looking for REASONING to your "Untrue" specifically about

| While it can be simple to do for sparc or ppc that has relatively
| less users, and with no need for binary compatibility for -bin
| packages,

just to start from?

The *users* are the imporant part... mips and sparc are WAY far from the
quantity of users of amd64 and x86... and the LEVEL of the users themselves,
too!

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/