On Friday 09 September 2005 14:46, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> and then what ?  if you're proposing removal of packages due solely to no
> maintainer, then we're going to have to slap you around.  dont remove
> packages for that reason alone.
Exactly the point. And I follow this request. If that was the case, publib and
libiconv would have been removed from the tree a lot of time ago, while they
are now maintained by BSD herd and by me, as they are useful for portability.

Unfortunately, seems like Ciaran thinks that removing them is the only way to
go, also if they can be perfect and just be unmaintained, because ebuilds
risk to not pass future repoman tests and needs to be qa-checked from time to
time, adding more work.

Well that's why we have a QA team, isn't it? For most of the changes in
repoman check is possible to run a whole-tree check and then who propose the
change can take care of fixing the unmaintained parts, like I did for
enewuser/cp-a/chown root:root bugs.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/