On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 04:33:08PM +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
> would someone more competent explain to me, why

you approached this all wrong ... you were supposed to say something
like "can we get rid of this hidden feature please"

i see no reason to keep use.defaults around anymore, i think the rest
of our config/profile system covers for it adequately and in a manner
that doesnt confused people

> - this feature even exists

it made sense when it was designed ... back in the much, much older
days of portage

> - why has a mass of things been commited in there recently

because they belong there

> - confusing users

the file has always confused people, whether they be user or dev

> - rendering /etc/portage/package.keywords useless (install a dep for one
> particular ebuild and enjoy the USE flag enabled globally)

unrelated

> - causing unwanted results (I did not really install app-text/recode for the
> purpose of enabling USE=recode globally and make it clash with half of php USE
> flags e.g.)
> - causing pointless breakage/bailing out in current ebuilds for users that
> have
> not touched USE flags on their system at all

you're confusing "feature" with "bug" ;)
-mike