Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:18:58AM -0800, Drake Wyrm wrote:
>
>>Jakub Moc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I don't think so... If I want to enable a feature for one
>>>specific ebuild and a USE flag in /etc/portage/package.use pulls in a
>>>dep, that in turn enables that use flag globally, it's obviously not
>>>what I intended and forces me to add yet another -flag into make.conf
>>
>>If you don't want portage to employ dark magic in guessing which use
>>flags you want enabled, don't let it. Specify your use flags explicitly.
>

> or we can just remove the dark magic and be done with it
>
> use.defaults is almost like letting ./configure scripts auto detect
> settings on the fly imho
> -mike

I'll put in another vote against dark magic.

However changing this will also lead to many supprises and tick off many
users who don't know why a bunch of flags just vanished. How about we
leave the feature in portage but remove auto from USE_ORDER in the
2006.0 profile and put a note about the changed behaviour the release
announcements.  For users who do like the functionality just properly
document the existance of USE_ORDER in the install guide.

--
Michael Marineau
[EMAIL PROTECTED]