Henrik Brix Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> We will also need to instruct users to recompile their kernel with
> gcc-3.4 otherwise the external modules (which will be recompiled with
> gcc-3.4 during `emerge -e world`) will fail to load because of
> vermagic mismatch.

This assumes that they do an `emerge -e world'.  We aren't going to be able
to protect users from all of the stupid mistakes they can make, but the
upgrade path is sane and very doable.  Perhaps the docs team could come up
with a generic toolchain guide that will possibly help stop any of the stupid
mistakes users could make.

--
Mark Loeser   -   Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting toolchain x86)
email         -   halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org