051130 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 17:34 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
>> As one of the "masses", I am certainly disturbed at that implication.
>> I don't remember any such need when I upgraded 2.9.5 -> 3.x (now 3.3.6).
>> This is the kind of issue on which I trust the devs to do sensible things,
>> but do we really need to rebuild our whole systems from the ground up ?
>> Ordinarily, I upgrade packages individually when it seems appropriate
>> & never do 'emerge world' with or without '-e' or other flags;
>> I do 'esync' every weekend & look at what is marked as having changed.
> Technically, you don't need to rebuild world.
> You only need to rebuild stuff that uses C++ and links to libstdc++.

That's what I wanted to know.
>From this & other responses, it looks as if it would be a bad idea
eg to upgrade to KDE 3.5 just before adopting GCC 3.4 (smile),
but that 'revdep-rebuild' will reveal the (lengthy) list of needed remerges.

I would urge whoever is documenting this
to avoid a blanket recommendation to 'emerge -e system && emerge -e world'
or be prepared for a lot of negative reaction from the masses.

<spectate>

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]