On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 01:33:13 +0100 Carsten Lohrke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| The problem is not the SLOT change, but to build "foo" depending on
| "bar" against KDE X, while bar is built against KDE Y. "foo" and
| "bar" support all slotted KDE versions, but they need to be build
| against the same one. You simply cannot express this via slot
| dependencies, so this feature is useless for KDE packages.

You solve this either by SLOTting bar and making each bar SLOT use a
SLOT dep upon KDE, or by using USE flags and [use]:slot deps.

| > The existing syntax is just as extensible. Up the EABI revision, and
| > start adding new syntax as needed.
|
| EAPI has nothing to do with the consistency of the syntax. Getting it
| once right, is what you usually call for. I prefer clean data
| structures.

The proposed syntax is cleaner than shoving arbitrary stuff inside
[bleh]. Any new [role:] tags will require an EABI bump anyway, so
there's no reason to stick to your proposed syntax to avoid future
backwards compatibility breaks.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm