On Tuesday 27 December 2005 12:08, Brian Harring wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 03:54:38AM +0100, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 December 2005 03:40, Brian Harring wrote:
> > > The version of digikam being merged requires slot=3.5- it should be
> > > depending on libk* slot=3.5, also, no?
> >
> > No! It (and also its dependencies) can be built against each 3.x slot.
> >
> > > As long as the information is represented dependency wise, portage
> > > should be able to handle it fine.  Just need to have that info there.
> >
> > It can't be handled dependency wise, because what is interesting is
> > against which KDE version the relevant ebuilds are actually installed.
>
> So note the comment in the email you are responding to about locking
> down the used dep/rdeps for an install.
>
> Via that, could lock down the slot it was compiled against.  Bit more
> to it then that, but the concerns your raising *again* are not
> use/slot based, your pointing at other portage faults (thus please
> seperate those concerns from use/slot).

I may be missing something, but I can't see how this will resolve Carsten's
issue. From what I can tell, the ebuilds would be laid out something like:

digikam:DEPEND="|| ( kdelibs:3.5 kdelibs:3.4 ) libkipi libkexif"
libkipi:DEPEND="|| ( kdelibs:3.5 kdelibs:3.4 )"
libkexif:DEPEND="|| ( kdelibs:3.5 kdelibs:3.4 )"

If all three of those packages were first built against kdelibs:3.4 and then
kdelibs:3.5 became available then rebuilding any one of them without
rebuilding the others will break digikam. I can't see how it's directly
represented in the metadata unless you want to overload the meaning of SLOT.

If overloading, dependencies would be flattened (meaning "|| ( kdelibs:3.5
kdelibs:3.4 )" would have became "kdelibs:3.4" for the original install)
within the installed package database but there's also there's the
implication that only one slot of a package be allowed in a connected set of
nodes. Is that what you're getting at?

--
Jason Stubbs