On Вск, 2006-01-01 at 21:35 +0100, Francesco Riosa wrote:
> We have currently 10371 ChangeLog files, > 25 MB totally .
> 1365 == 13% with size >= 4096 B, 12 MB totally
>
> rsync from "emerge --sync" has "--whole-file" between its options, that
> mean transfer the whole file if changed.

> 2) "rotate" Changelogs, keeping only the last changes, until a size
>    of 4000 or [choose a preferred size here] bytes.
>    This would save only about 7Mb of data (max size < 4096).

ChangeLog is the only source of information on upgrade reasons and IMO
users are interested only in recent information there. Another
suggestion is to combine rotate like and exclude list solutions.

When ChangeLog size reaches above maximum allowed size echangelog should
create ChangeLog.old file and copy tail of ChangeLog there, in order to
keep ChangeLog size. Then using excludes list one may drop really old
entries in ChangeLog.old, whereas keeping recent information in portage
tree.

Peter.