Alec Warner wrote:
Taking the earlier comment ( changing files only on the mirrors ) there are no portage changes that are technically required. However, you'd need to change about 10000 ( random number I pulled out of my ass, but there are many affected ) SRC_URI's to point to the new format, or produce some sort of hack that translates between the two, and I wouldn't be to fond of the latter effort, mostly because it would probably rot in the tree for way too long ;)

I don't see how making portage translate mirror://gentoo/${P}.patch.bz2 to http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/${firstchar}/${P}.patch.bz2 is worse than changing 10000 SRC_URIs.

> And you need to modify policy for placing files on the mirrors, but
> thats not a portage problem either; from the portage POV the change is
> relatively seamless.

That should be a one-time effort for one person anyway. I guess it's not too hard to make a script that puts the stuff in toucan:/space/distfiles-local into the right dir.

--
Kind Regards,

Simon Stelling
Gentoo/AMD64 Member