On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:35 am, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but there really is no such place for such
queries.  We generally consider it rude when users whine about stable
keywording.  Therefore, I don't feel bad about a short response.

If questions on a particular topic get asked frequently, and indeed they do, maybe there should be an official place to ask them. Saying something along the lines of "this is the wrong place to ask, there is no right place, so don't ask at all" to a customer would get any employee of any business fired or given a stern warning instantly. It doesn't matter if the person is customer support, a clerk, a developer, management or whatever. It's unbecoming and does not promote a positive image.

Not really, I can only do what I do because I read stuff. Anybody else can easily do the same.

That makes the assumption everyone has the same amount of knowledge you did when you started using Gentoo.

I don't know C#, for example. As a result, any attempt to program with Mono would be futile and result in failure.

I would like to point out that it was you who flamed me for apparently
saying RTFM, when in fact if you read my original email, I did nothing
of the sort.

You gave a logical RTFM. You're being literal with words when the meaning of what you said should be fairly clear. You didn't want to answer the question, so you flamed the person who asked instead of answering or defering to a more helpful individual.

I merely pointed out what should have been clear to anyone
that signed up for this list, that it is not for whining about arch
keywording.

Not everyone is like you. There are all sorts of different people out there who process information in a lot of different ways. Without a stated correct place for asking questions about keywording, it wouldn't be hard to rationalise that the proper place is the dev mailing list.

You say it should be obvious like it's fact. Not everything is obvious to everyone--Not everyone is a Steve or Stephanie. They may interpret conveyed information in different ways and the ambiguity does not help at all.

There's a reason devs rarely answer questions. Devs should do what they do best, code and fix problems according to SE principles. If you really want to answer questions, go ahead, but if you don't want to be helpful, don't say anything. Someone else who does want to will chime in with a helpful response.

Sounds like you had an agenda to bitch about and found my
email to be convenient.  In other words, you have no point.

-Steve

I do have an agenda. I won't deny that. I think the Gentoo philosophy is essentially perfect, both as a development philosophy and also as an operational philosophy. When I see a dev who violates this philosophy with the way they behave, I am inclined to call them on it.
Kari Hazzard