Hi Gentoo devs,

The Problem: I'd like to have bookmarks for my most used documentation
in my browser. E.g., for the Python documentation this would be
file:///usr/share/doc/python-docs-2.4.2/html/index.html. But as the
version number is included in the path, I have to update the bookmark
every time portage installs a new version of Python.

What I'd like portage do to is to create a symlink to the latest version
of a package's documentation. Just omitting the version number would of
course not work as slotted packages may have multiple versions of docs
installed.  The first format coming to my mind would be:

/usr/share/doc/python-docs-latest -> /usr/share/doc/python-docs-2.4.2

If that's impossible because of some Linux standards (I'm really not
familiar with POSIX, LSB, File System Hierarchy or stuff like this) we
could use a special directory for this, maybe /usr/share/doc/.latest or
/usr/share/portage/latest-docs or something similar -- you get the point.

We could of course make this optional with a USE flag. In face we have
already the symlink flag that does basically the task for the kernel
versions.  I don't know if it'd be clever to use it or if we should
consider introducing "symlink-docs" for this.

I hope this informal proposal initializes a discussion and I would be
very happy to see it in some standardized way in future *-doc-ebuilds.

Thanks,
Fabian.