Quoting Molle Bestefich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Does it?  How does having a stable and unstable branch differ from
having stable and unstable keywords?

Agreed.  That doesn't make sense.

It does if you have a separate stable tree per-arch. With the current tree design, it's too easy to break an arch that you've no intention of affecting.

However, if you have a separate tree per-arch, that tree can be tested and approved for release as a single unit.

From a SCM point of view, arches are a subset of the full Gentoo tree. They would fit very well into a branching model - and Subversion's support for branching would make it a breeze for us to support without overloading the arch teams.

If you want central control of what's happening in the repository,
Subversion seems like the way to go.

Better to fix the design of the repository, so that it can't be broken in the first place, than to try putting band-aids in place to cover the gaps.

I don't think so.  You really rarely do a complete checkout.

I'd be interested to see some stats from our CVS logs to back that up.

Best regards,
Stu
--
Stuart Herbert                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gentoo Developer                                  http://www.gentoo.org/

GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319  C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C