Stephen Bennett wrote:
> On Tue, 09 May 2006 18:27:45 -0700
> Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Then again, I'm missing context because people have this weird thing
>> about abstractly bringing up issues without discussing the actual
>> problem.
>
> The context is that I added profiles/repo_name to the tree ~5 days ago,
> in order to properly take advantage of functionality available in a
> certain package available in the tree (sys-apps/paludis). It's 7 bytes
> and doesn't adversely affect anything, so I didn't deem it particularly
> worth making a fuss about.

Stephen, thanks for this useful clarification. As far as I know, every
file in profiles/ is used by Gentoo's package manager or QA tools.
Changing that by adding a file used by something other than
portage/repoman is a policy change. It also may turn out that portage
itself could make use of a similar file to what you're adding for
paludis, so discussion with at least the portage team would be merited.

Thanks,
Donnie