On Sat, 13 May 2006 13:10:22 -0700
Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ned Ludd wrote:
> > This was handled in the 6.8.x series and got dropped for unknown
> > reasons when the modular X porting started happening.
> > Unless your dead set on modular X I'd stick with the 6.8.x series.
>
> We are using the solution that was suggested to us by members of the
> hardened team.

The current solution (bail if -z,now is set in the compiler specs) is
not one suggested by the hardened team, just need to make that clear,
and it's not something we would encourage elsewhere. However until we
can provide a solution for such a high-profile package we are not going
to make a fuss.

Our suggestion was to 'append-flags -nonow' on the server and video
driver builds, but when a helpful user tried it, it wasn't enough -
we simply haven't had the resource to work it out properly yet.

> If you have a different solution, please do submit a
> patch for it.

With regards to Duncan's (non-hardened) problem, adding:

filter-ldflags -Wl,-z,now

to x-modular.eclass as he suggests should be fine; his issue is
different to that with the hardened compiler in as much as he has added
the '-Wl,-z,now' to LDFLAGS as advised by the QA message and the above
filter will just remove it again; whereas to deal with the hardened
compiler we need to reliably add a flag to all the relevant link
commands (the bit that takes the effort is working out which are
relevant).

Duncan - perhaps it would be useful if you could raise a separate bug
about the QA message and Xorg, and attach the diff you apply to
x-modular.eclass.

--
Kevin F. Quinn