On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 20:15 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
> Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > Here's another example of it done correctly.  If you add a game to the
> > tree, the herd should be listed as games.  Period.  Even if you are
> > going to be the sole maintainer of the package, games should be the
> > herd.  Why?  Because it is a game, silly.
>
> There _is_ no requirement that a package must belong to a herd.  It's very
> good advice, and it's good for Gentoo, but it's _not_ a requirement.  I'm
> sorry, but I think in this case what you are asserting isn't correct.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/#doc_chap4

Specifically the listing for the herd tag.

Just because people are doing things *wrong* doesn't mean that there
isn't a defined manner in which things should be done.

> When I say I don't believe, I mean that I'm not aware of any Gentoo rule
> giving project leads any such dominion.I don't believe being the lead of any
> project (be it games, webapps, or anything else) gives _anyone_ the
> automatic right to suppress packages that you're not going to maintain -
> subject to the due diligence about dangerous packages and unmaintained
> packages that I mentioned earlier in this thread.  I believe that this is a
> right that you are claiming for yourself; I'm sure you're doing so with good
> intentions.

Here's where you start making wild assumptions.  Who ever said that we
don't intend on maintaining *every* ebuild that gets submitted to us?

You are starting to put words into my mouth and making claims that I'm
not making.  Stop.

> You've raised a lot of valid concerns about the plans of Project Sunrise,
> but here I think you're asking for too much, by trying to assert dominion
> over what simply isn't yours to control.

The bugs is assigned to the games team.

Should I go and simply ACCEPT every single bug assigned to games in
bugzilla, including all of the bug spam that will be caused by it, just
to show that we *have* accepted these bugs, and are simply working
through them at our own pace?

> It's reasonable (and existing Gentoo practice) to say "hands off - we
> maintain that package".

Correct.

> Saying "hands off, but we are not going to maintain that package either" ...
> it may be good for you, but I can't see how it's good for Gentoo - unless
> the package is dangerous.

I never said this.  Please don't try to use things that I never said as
an argument, especially putting them in quotes, as if to quote me.
You'll only serve to piss me off.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead