Thomas Cort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What is the proper quoting style for using epatch? In the tree there
> are about 3 different styles...
<snip>
> What is the proper quoting style for defining the S variable? In the
> tree there are about 3 different styles...
It might be prudent to quote the variables, in case somebody, for
whatever reason, has strange characters in assorted paths.

> What is the purpose of setting DEPEND and RDEPEND to "" if DEPEND and
> RDEPEND are optional[1][2]? Isn't that just a waste of disk space /
> bandwidth? DEPEND="virtual/libc" seems like a waste too as it is an
> implicit system dependency[3], any reason for using it?
>
>       DEPEND=""             # used by 1479 ebuilds
>       RDEPEND=""            # used by 884 ebuilds
These two are probably not necessary, but some devs might prefer to use
them in their ebuilds for the sake of explicitly stating the implied.

>       DEPEND="virtual/libc" # used by 809 ebuilds
There are opinions on both sides of this subject, but I think that most
devs are starting to see the value in this. If a package requires some
other package, say so. It may be a bit more work (twelve keystrokes),
but it's worth the extra effort (twelve keystrokes) to be complete.

--
twelve keystrokes