On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 03:33:28 -0400
Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Saturday 17 June 2006 02:02, Drake Wyrm wrote:
> > Thomas Cort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >   DEPEND="virtual/libc" # used by 809 ebuilds
> >
> > There are opinions on both sides of this subject, but I think that
> > most devs are starting to see the value in this. If a package
> > requires some other package, say so. It may be a bit more work
> > (twelve keystrokes), but it's worth the extra effort (twelve
> > keystrokes) to be complete.
>
> virtual/libc has no value in DEPEND/RDEPEND
>
> you cannot have a system without a system libc (well you can, but
> this *very edge* case doesnt matter in the portage world)

Agreed.

However "Package Dependencies" in the dev handbook
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap5
suggests adding it as it uses virtual/libc as an example of the use of
virtuals.

Regarding implicit system dependencies which can be omitted from *DEPEND
http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html#implicit-system-dependency
obviously USE flag settings affect what's pulled in by system as does
the profile.

So I think if we're to allow essential system dependencies to be
omitted, we should be very explicit; i.e. publish a strict list.

--
Kevin F. Quinn