On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 09:52 +0300, Alin Nastac wrote:
> Natanael Copa wrote:
> > Nobody has ever showed interest and I'm not pushing my services on
> > anyone.
> >
> Why exactly you don't want to become a Gentoo dev? The whole "proxy
> maintainer" thing is a bunch of crap. The Gentoo developer will still be
> expected to be responsible of his/her commits, which means 2 maintainers
> will spend (approximately) same amount of time testing it.

It does mean you can sometimes offload work onto other people, eg
upstream maintainers - who are themselves not interested in becoming
devs but are more than happy to maintain their single ebuild.

And it does actually mean less work for us because although we still
have to test it, we can rely to some extent on the testing done by that
maintainer and by other users who regularly build from our overlay. Also
it means we don't have to look out for upstream releases because they
'darcs send' in their updates and we just take responsibility for QA and
getting things into portage cvs.

--
Duncan Coutts : Gentoo Developer (Haskell team lead)
email         : dcoutts at gentoo dot org