On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 12:52 +0200, Wernfried Haas wrote:
> Bollocks. I run a print/samba/backup box at work which is a pentium II
> 400. Compiling glibc takes 3 hours here and while it may not be the

<snipping the rest since a Pentium 2 *is* i686>

> Which kind of support are you speaking of? As for installation media,
> i really don't care. I fully agree <i686 is dying out and if the
> release media is built built for i686 only i have no problem with that
> either. If you really want to put Gentoo on a i586 there are a other
> ways to do it, too, but i don't think we should stop supporting i586
> in general.

Nobody has said that.  So long as glibc/gcc/etc still work on i586,
we'll still provide the ability to use it on those machines.  That
doesn't mean we'll "support" it.  It's like GCC 2.x, which is still in
the tree.  It's there.  It's usable.  It's totally unsupported.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead