don't forget the gentoo-catalyst@lists.gentoo.org if you want I can
put together some spec files  that would build a universal cd for you.

I can understand chris's position. but it would be nice if he would
consider the development of  a script for the "livecd" that could
extract the stage4 on it and include documentation in the handbook on
how to do it. because as is the installers don't allow for enough
flexibility. I personally would like to know who decided to put bottom
and I think top partition size limits in the installer. the limits
should have been dictated by the filesystem limits themselves. my
system my choice. another option might be a "skip section" of the
installer." that way we can on do the stage4 part, and forget the rest
if we want. would any of this be such a hard and impossible thing for
releng to do and support?