Talking specifically about sudo, I think you're making a big deal out of
a very minor thing, primarily because I cannot think of a sane example
of when $EDITOR and $VISUAL are not set and visudo (which requires an
interactive editor) would be invoked.

It's problem exist for any package use configure for set default editor.
If i'm not use nano (see sudo ebuild) and not set EDITOR i'm got bug.

I dont have much of an opinion on these things, although I think
expecting /bin/vi to be an screen oriented interactive editor (not
nescessarily vi) should be a sane assumption, and if it isnt, that is
the real bug.

Okey. Then remove DEPEND virtual/editor from sudo and other package with hardcoded default editor.
Set instead right editor. For example nano or vi. Or set USE flag for switch.

I really hate nano and pico, I cannot understand how people use them, it
isnt the default because I'm a closet pico fan, I can assure you :)

Gentoo contains  same editors provided virtual/editor. We got two ways.
Create virtual-editor package & wrapper or remove provide virtual-editor.

sudo's default fallback is /bin/vi, but I received some bugs about this
several years ago, and after some discussion on -dev, we decided that
nano should take this place. Things have changed since then, nano used
to be `special` in that we could make assumptions about it, maybe i'll
change it back to /bin/vi, but I dont think it matters much.

Set any editor but set right depend not virtual/editor.