Steve Long wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please note, I'm not talking about applications like portage or pkgcore,
> just the ebuild text files, which I understand have one maintainer?

Many ebuilds are in maintained by a bunch of people via herds.

> I appreciate that source control is needed to maintain files over a period
> of time and to roll back changes. Does that happen with ebuilds?

Rolling back changes does not happen that often but a history is useful.

>   I'm thinking in any case that a db app can save old revisions or use a svn
> backend. I'm looking at this from a workflow perspective, in terms
> especially of the security issue around giving commit access to the whole
> tree. If the individual maintainer only has permission for those ebuilds
> s/he is responsible for, it might make it easier to allow new people write
> access.

I fail to see any benefit from a layer above svn. svn has good access
control if we want use that built in.

>   Sorry if this has all been discussed before.

Most likely the access control has been discusses some times before. To
summarize having access to everything is quite useful.

> (Please note: I'm not discussing the mechanisms by which software might be
> installed for the end-user, rather the back-end which you devs use, of
> which I admittedly have no experience.)

So please let people who actually use/know how source control work
discuss the issue.