> * Hard dep upon boost. This sucks for g++-4.1 users.
>
> * Hard dep upon g++-4.1, which isn't available for all archs. This
> doesn't even work because there's no guarantee that >=4.1 is being used
> even if it's installed.

I don't think these are necessarily compatible.  tr1 is implemented in the
std::tr1,
while I think everything in boost is just in the boost namespace (unless this
has
changed since I've used boost).  This would mean that the project code itself
would
have to have the logic to decide which set of headers to use.  I'm guessing most
probably won't have the compatibility code to make that accessment, though some
may.

Caleb