On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:47:09 -0600 Grant Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| > * Hard dep upon g++-4.1, which isn't available for all archs. This
| > doesn't even work because there's no guarantee that >=4.1 is being
| > used even if it's installed.
|
| I haven't done my homework, so I'll just ask: Is there a reasonable
| timeframe for 4.1 on archs that we're using?  Is there actual evidence
| that tr1-using packages are going to become prevalent before 4.1+
| becomes ubiquitous?

A few archs are having pretty big issues with 4.1. In the mean time,
tr1 is so damned useful that programmers are going to take a lot of
persuading *not* to use it.

| An alternative, which would be a real pain, is to have <g++-4.1
| ebuilds build boost tr1 libraries as part of the ebuild, and then
| have compatibility libraries for people who remove old versions of
| g++, just like we do now.  The benefit would be that at the cost of
| forcing everybody to upgrade g++ we could rely on tr1 existing
| everywhere.

Even that won't necessarily work, since g++-4.1 doesn't include a full
tr1 implementation. It includes the useful stuff, but it's missing the
random number and regex parts of the specification -- which,
fortunately, are nowhere near as popular as hash tables and smart
pointers.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail                                : ciaranm at ciaranm.org