On Monday 05 February 2007, Luis Francisco Araujo wrote:
> I am usually very hesitant to add new use flags to the tree (unless they
> are *really* necessary or imply a great advantage.) ; though i am not
> sure here if anybody else would consider this a good recommendation for
> handling textrels.

why not just build pic for everyone on x86 ?  define "it'll hurt
performance" ... of course you take a small penalty for code being PIC, but i
dont exactly see smalltalk being such a performance hardcore language to
justify making it special

> I was thinking more of a simple 'use hardened && myconf=" .. "' specific
> line for this ebuild; but it's probably a good idea offering to more
> developers the easy choice of this feature through a USE flag?

you would utilize the "pic" USE flag ... php does this because it, unlike
smalltalk, is very performance critical, and so by default it builds as
non-pic on x86
-mike