> The arch teams have been pushing for this for a long time. They're
> trying to get this enforced, but are having limited success because
> there's no way for FEATURES=test to become widely used that won't lead
> to broken user systems. Moving src_test to be always on in future EAPIs
> is an easy way of helping arch teams achieve this goal without breaking
> anyone's system in the meantime.

Erm, no I have not at all (speaking as a project lead for x86). Test is
not viable for a lot of reason as being on by default. One that I can
come up with off the top of my head is php. The test suite for it makes
test inadvisable on any desktop system, I'd say the same for a server as
well. Not to mention that a lot of upstream test functions are in fact
themselves broken because they require dependencies that are not
required for the application itself. This is not a simple case of
downstream (being gentoo) doing this. There has to be quite a bit
changed for test to be viable and even then I don't think it really is
unfortunately due to test packages that can take 12+ hours on a decently
equipped modern system.