Ryan Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted [EMAIL PROTECTED],
excerpted below, on  Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:01:53 -0600:

>  Why don't we create the gentoo-project mailing
> list, and, you know, actually wait a bit to see how that actually goes.
>  Then we can talk about how best to handle -dev.  One shit at a time,
> people.

+1

It should also be noted that it's council election time, and I don't
believe a change such as closing -dev to moderated write status is really
urgent enough to have the outgoing council handle.  Let the folks running
for council now make their positions part of their platforms, and after -
project is up and running for a couple months and the new council is in
place, /then/ let's see if moderating -dev remains a burning enough issue
to be voted on.

Otherwise, what happens if the new council sees things differently.  If
they reverse course, it's going to cause reverberations.  If they are
unhappy with things but decide to uphold the previous council, well that
has its own problems.

Here's what I'd suggest.  Let the current council have its vote -- as a
recommendation for the new council, not a binding/active decision.  Then
the new council can come in and build on those preliminaries, taking into
account further developments as -project comes into its own, as they see
fit.

If the recommendation from the old council and the implementation of the
new council both go the same way, it'll be a VERY strong decision.  If
the new council sees things differently, at least with it being an issue
during the nomination and vote, they'll be able to point to that and say
we did as we were elected to do.  Either way, I believe it'll be a rather
stronger decision than if the outgoing council acts on it as what amounts
to lame ducks.