On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:24:32 -0700
Mike Doty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All-

[..snip..]

> We're voting on this next council meeting so if you have input, now
> would be the time.
>
> --taco

Eeer, I think this is one of the most idiotic ideas I've heard since
I started using Gentoo.

As I've seen before in various projects, a blacklist is *much* easier
to maintain than a whitelist, it makes *much* more sense to get a team
of people (not necessarily developers?) to moderate the Mailing Lists,
to a standard, complete, set of rules - was the CoC complete when the
Proctors started? Could this be why the idea didn't work originally?

A Mailing List should be treated like the forums and IRC, those who
misbehave get a warning. Then if they continue, a ban. They had their
chance, they fucked up, sod them.

And now there's people polluting the Mailing List with the freakin'
weather in what seems to be some form of a protest to the ML changes.
This is stupid. Don't make the changes. Make a complete set of rules for
moderation, appoint a suitable team of developers (and users?) to
moderate the mailing list, make sure that they've had experience in
moderation. Pick moderators from various timezones to ensure a timely
stop to any potential flamewars. Teach the people using the mailing
list that there is NO excuse for misbehaviour. A ban is a ban, you
can't get around it. No bribing high-up council members or devrel
members to get you unbanned. This will bring about a fall in the
system. The moderators should get the final word, end of. Keep
discussions *technical*, attempt not to bring personal differences into
the public. Take it off-list, just as you would PM someone on the
forums or IRC. It's the same thing.

Anyway, those are just my 2 cents.

welp