Chris Gianelloni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Thu,
20 Sep 2007 09:19:31 -0700:

> While I would normally agree, there's nothing wrong with having sensible
> defaults.  After all, we install a bunch of stuff into /home/$user
> thanks to /etc/skel, so how is this different?

The big distinction (other than the privilege one) IMO is that putting
things into /etc/skel isn't directly inserting them into a "live" user's
home dir.  There's a level of indirection, such that "live" users don't
have their "live" environments interfered with, and such that there's a
chance for the admin to review things if desired, before actually acting
on anything in skel in terms of setting up a new user.

IOW, a direct comparison would be if we setup something like
/etc/rootskel/.  Of course, that's not quite a correct parallel either,
since it's not often that a new "root" user appears =8^P, but the point
I'm trying to make by drawing the parallel should be obvious.

Matter of fact, I'd rather /etc/profile was handled a bit more indirectly
as well, say treating it much like /etc/make.conf, creating
make.conf.example if the file already existed, or like the /usr/share/
baselayout/* files, as I handle the system profile rather differently
here too, but that's a somewhat different argument as it's existing
behavior (to some extent addressed with etc-update, but one could say so
was fstab).  At least we can avoid creating further problems of the sort
we're avoiding with the above *.example and baselayout/* cases, however,
as the current proposal would IMO do.