On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 04:07:42 -0800
Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'll look into that. Got any good starting points (files, functions,
> docs)?

Well, the whole of the eselect code is small enough that you should be
able to understand it pretty quickly... Then it'd just be a case of
making the main driver code a bit more flexible so that you can tell it
to swap in certain libraries.

Incidentally, I suspect it might be worth rewriting the core using some
of the techniques that we've discovered when writing Paludis. Things
like the fancier signalling die function and the cleaner module path
searching would be worth adopting. This would also be a good
opportunity to sneak in the more flexible driver that you probably
need. Might be worth speaking to whoever maintains Gentoo's branch of
eselect these days.

One thing in the code, by the way...

        if [[ ${UID} -ne 0 ]]; then

We've always told people not to do that. Capabilities required by
eselect modules should be tested by attempting to perform the action,
not by some arbitrary query done on UIDs or groups. Being UID 0 doesn't
mean you're allowed to do something, and not being UID 0 doesn't mean
you're not allowed to do something.

--
Ciaran McCreesh