Steve Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > Steve Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I've always used EUID for the root check, eg:
> > Which is just as bad.
> No, it's better for the reason given: it doesn't require login as
> root. Use of ((EUID)) is also quicker.

 Capabilites are the write access to the target you want to modify in
your eselect module:

test_for_root() {
        # checks if the user has rights to modify /usr/bin/
        [[ -w "${ROOT}/usr/bin" ]] || die -q "You need to be root!"
}

 That's how the the vim and Emacs eselect modules do it.  In my opinion
the best way to check for the rights needed.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>