On 03:31 Thu 20 Dec     , Luca Barbato wrote:
> Before spending even more time on it, could we try to come up with a
> definition of what eapi is, which problem is trying to solve and put
> that somewhere that isn't a long thread or an handful of threads
> scattered across mailing lists.
>
> Then we could think about this implementation detail if the best
> implementation for it is really sticking tags somewhere in the ebuild.

I dug through some old mailing-list archives and found some threads from
gentoo-dev in July-August 2005 about EBUILD_FORMAT:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg02668.html

And here's the post where vapier coined the term EAPI:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg02692.html

It moved over to gentoo-portage-dev later on:

Thanks,
Donnie