On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:43:59 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Because a) a future EAPI might want to change EAPI into a function
> > rather than a variable, b) there are a zillion ways of setting a
> > variable in bash and people already use all of them and c)
> > introducing new weird format requirements is silly.
>
> So you're proposing putting the function into the filename?

No, I'm saying that the data goes into the filename.

> As he stated, the only credible reason (so far given) bash must be
> used to parse EAPI is if it's dynamic, say a function, and that won't
> work so well in a filename either.

No no no. Bash is the only thing that can parse bash. Ebuilds are bash.

> Thus, putting EAPI in the filename pretty much eliminates the
> possibility of it being a function, and we're back to the original
> question, instead of a GLEP allowing it in the filename, why not a
> GLEP specifying the format of that single variable in the file
> contents well enough to parse without bash?

Because that would be introducing a new, non-extensible, inflexible
requirement upon the content of ebuilds, and the goal of EAPI is to
avoid doing exactly that.

--
Ciaran McCreesh