Piotr Jaroszy?ski wrote:

> On Saturday 22 of December 2007 02:41:02 Petteri Räty wrote:
>> Piotr Jaroszy?ski kirjoitti:
>> > This GLEP proposes usage of EAPI-suffixed file extensions for ebuilds
>> > (for example, foo-1.2.3.ebuild-1).
>>
>> It seems many people don't like the idea of having it in the filename
>
> Seems you are counting the posts, not the people.
>
>> but how about having subdirectories for different eapis. This should
>> even be faster for the package manager as it can just ignore the
>> directories it can't understand instead of having to parse the file
>> names.
>
> It was already proposed, but didn't seem to get much support.
That would be counting posts, not people. It just hasn't been discussed.

> It is
> equivalent to using the suffixes, but I see it rather as perfomarnce hit,
> not improvement. The package manger would have to look for ebuilds in the
> main dir and all the subdirs in case it doesn't have/can't use the cache.

Yeah but this isn't about performance (or so I heard. I took that to mean it
was about ebuilds which can't be sourced, but you might want to check
exactly what McCreesh meant, since I am apparently incapable of
understanding his missives.)

Given that, the subdirectories would do the job fine, and end-users don't
have to worry about building the cache anyway.