On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 15:42 +0200, Benedikt Morbach wrote:
> I think it should be made consistent or it should be turned into a
> local use flag.
> no-* or *-only flag don't make sense in my opinion, because you can
> get the same with:
> -gui instead of nogui (maybe -gtk/-qt4/-kde or something would be even better)
> -* server instead of server-only (sure, this can only be done for each
> single package, but it looks cleaner to me than -only)
>
> Benedikt

Some packages also have the X USE-flag.

Though this USE-flag is often used to enable linking against X;
disabling doesn't mean to remove the GUI (it's often for games or libs
like libsdl which have alternative gfx output like aalib, framebuffer,
etc.).

There is also already a guionly and a client-only USE-flag. But I don't
think this is a good USE-flag for games because it's somehow confusing
then if you want to have only the dedicated server and not the GUI.

I also don't like no* USE-flags that much. But there are already a lot
available. I thought they were introduced because it's most probable
that you want to have the specific support and if not, you have to
specify this explicitly.

I think the server USE-flag is a good USE-flag to enable/disable the
support of a dedicated server of a specific game. This USE-flag is
intuitivly clear.

The GUI would not depend on the server USE-flag. For the GUI, perhaps
the USE-flag client would be good.