Albert Zeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Thu, 15 May 2008
16:24:10 +0200:

> I also don't like no* USE-flags that much. But there are already a lot
> available. I thought they were introduced because it's most probable
> that you want to have the specific support and if not, you have to
> specify this explicitly.

The no* USE flags are deprecated and headed toward legacy-only, due to
portage support of USE defaults being so new and there being no way to
default to "on", for those packages where it made the most sense,
previously.  However, AFAIK USE defaults are an EAPI=1 feature, and thus
not quite yet encouraged for the general tree.  That said, new versions
of many packages with no* USE flags have them removed in favor of USE
defaults.  When EAPI=1 portage and the newer USE defaults versions of
these packages have been stable for a period and as the by then legacy
versions fade out, positive based USE defaults will ultimately replace
most or all of the current no* flags.

All as I understand it as not-a-dev-but-a-regular-dev-list-reader.