On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:16:23 -0700
> "Alec Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> As far as could be determined by the members at the meeting there no
>> compelling examples in Gentoo who to change or add global scope
>> functions in future EAPIs.  As such those problems as stated are not
>> in scope for Gentoo because Gentoo is not attempting to do those
>> things at this time.
>
> You mean you don't want per-category/package eclasses, or eclasses that
> can indicate that they only work with some EAPIs, or eclasses that can
> indicate that they're being used incorrectly, or the death of
> EXPORT_FUNCTIONS? All of these have been discussed as desirable future
> extensions.

I don't require any of those things, but maybe other people do and If
so; they should probably come
to the meeting or otherwise make themselves known because they were
not at the previous meeting.

The GLEP as written is not convincing; it doesn't say 'I am trying to
do X with Gentoo and cannot because of this
restriction.'  It says 'In the future someone may want to do X and
they won't be able to because of this restriction so lets
try to remove the restriction now.'  This is an admirable goal mind
you; but it is my opinion that there are more concrete features
that we could implement for benefits now rather than talk about what could be.

I chatted briefly with peper on IRC about this (as he was the original
GLEP author) so when he gets time he said he had some examples to
provide.