On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:19:27 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:47:06 -0700
> "Robin H. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 05:43:38PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > > Utterly illegal, needs to die.
> >
> > Why? I don't agree that it needs to be the global useflags, but I
> > don't consider it illegal either.
>
> It's illegal. Generated metadata must be constant and can't vary based
> upon user configuration, because if it does the package manager will
> show the wrong information at --pretend time.

There are also other issues, e.g. it breaks the generation of the
@installed package set as the installed slots can't be found in the
tree. As portage-2.2 makes increased use of slot atoms internally for
vdb handling we got a few bugreports simply due to the cache constraint
violation by USE=multislot.

Marius