В Вск, 30/11/2008 в 16:54 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh пишет:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:50:17 +0300
> Peter Volkov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > В Вск, 30/11/2008 в 16:10 +0100, Santiago M. Mola пишет:
> > > per-package eclasses [1].
> > > That way, it would be easy to avoid duplication of not only
> > > HOMEPAGE but also SRC_URI, LICENSE, or any other part of an ebuild.
> >
> > Having per-package eclasses (PPE) just to set common HOMEPAGE is
> > definitely overkill. What other reasons for PPE to exist?
>
> In an awful lot of cases, there's a very high degree of code overlap
> between ebuild versions.

So? Is size a big problem? If not then again what problem are you trying
to solve?

Don't mix good programming practice of with good ebuild maintenance
practice. They are solving different problems and that's why they are
different.

Commited ebuild corresponds to the package of some version. It was
written, tested and released (commited). Now never touch it without real
necessity even indirectly through PPE. If you wish to improve package do
that in ~arch tree.

If you wish to make ebuilds writing closer to the programming practice
then yes! There is similarity: being a good upstream you never touch
already released tarbals.

And yes. we still have eclasses but they are exceptions and that is why
we have exceptional rule for handling them: review on -dev before
commit. Should we have same rule for PPE?

> > If you want to separate common code, then PPE is very dangerous.
> >
> > Take for example ebuilds which share same src_*() function which you
> > had to modify a bit with version bump. To be absolutely sure that you
> > have not broke anything you'll have to check all versions of the
> > package or there are chances that you broke stable tree and have not
> > noticed that. Of course the same stands for eclasses. The difference
> > between PPE and global eclasses is that 1. PPE covers less packages
> > and it'll take longer to notice that error 2. per-package things are
> > changing more rapidly and thus more changes to PPE will be required.
> > All this means that we'll have more breakages. So what are the
> > benefits to overbalance this minuses?
>
> You appear to be assuming that Gentoo developers are careless and
> incompetent. The ebuild format already gives developers more than
> enough rope to hang themselves and every single user -- per package
> eclasses don't alter this in any way.

Nope, I assume we are all humans and even careful people do mistakes. If
package works do not to touch it.

--
Peter.