Petteri Räty wrote:
Let's try something new. I would like to get opinions from as many
people as possible about GLEP 55 and alternatives listed here in order
to get some idea what the general developer pool thinks. Everyone is
only allowed to post a single reply to this thread in order to make it
easy to read through. The existing thread should be used for actual
discussion about the GLEP and the alternatives. This should be a useful
experiment to see if we can control ourselves :)

I was talking to Alec last night in -dev (yes, I'm still alive), and I tossed out the idea of using metadata.xml instead of mangling the ebuild filename or even sticking it as the first line in the ebuild (as a hashbang or something gentoo-specific, for example).

It's nothing fully fleshed out, and I know parsing XML is about as much fun as sticking your tongue into a cross-cut paper shredder, but I figured why not toss it out there?

Add a tag like this to metadata.xml

<eapi pv="2.6.28.7" version="1" />

pv = Package Version (incl. revision if needed).
v = EAPI version.

Other variants:
<eapi version="1">mips-sources-2.6.28.7</eapi>
<eapi pv="2.6.28.7">1</eapi>

and such.

This allows portage or whatever to associate the chosen/desired EAPI level with a given ebuild version in portage (so the above examples would match mips-sources-2.6.28.7.ebuild)

I think there's some other magic going on after metadata is updated in portage, like the whole use.local.desc auto-updating. I figure something like this could also be implemented, maybe even in the same way whereby a backend script parses this out and create a /usr/portage/profiles/eapi.list file that links package revisions with the set eapi level. Then let the various package managers do whatever it is that they do to make use of this information.

Call it random brainstorming. No idea on the pros & cons -- I haven't even looked at g55 just yet.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic