Hi,

(Mail sent to gentoo-dev & gentoo-scm, please Fu2 gentoo-scm only)

On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 06:29:08PM -0800, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 07:57:02PM -0500, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Alec Warner <anta...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > > People are working on the whole 'replace cvs with git' thing on the
> > > gentoo-scm list.
> > I'm supposedly on that list and I haven't gotten a message all week?
> > is it low traffic? or do I have a subscription/other problem.
> It's fairly low traffic.
>
> The last discussion was just under 2 weeks ago, was about how Manifests
> would need to be changed to cut down on merge conflicts. The last
> proposal on that was to consider a form of slim Manifest for developers
> only (it would still be a full form going to rsync), where objects in
> git were not explicitly tracked in the Manifest, but rather but signed
> commits (not tags), as their checksums were tracked by the DVCS anyway.
>
> Additionally, there is this pending item on a Git resource usage bug
> that hurts badly during the initial clone:
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-scm/msg_df7c98ec7d2e313856bec31769df407f.xml

Following this discussion on the dev list, it appears that some of us
missed the 'replace cvs with git' project going on here (on gentoo-scm).

As it's very time consuming to find the relevant previous threads. So,
could someone give us more information of the state of the project ?
(general expected workflow, technical issues, etc) A brief abstract
would be very much appreciated.

I've read the above link. Now, I know about the Manifest issue.

Also, did you had information on how git hosted overlays work ?

Thanks,

--
Nicolas Sebrecht