On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Ciaran McCreesh <
ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 08:49:16 +0100
> Tiziano Müller <dev-z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pPAJXP6shYH78lCXeqRqCUQ
>
> Here're some more easy ones.
>
> First up, un-optionaling some optional things. No impact for developers:
>
> * PROPERTIES must be cached properly (it's optional in current EAPIs)

+1 from  me

> * DEFINED_PHASES must be supported (ditto)

+1 from me

> Next, some probably easy but long standing features:
>
> * src_test run unless RESTRICTed or explicitly disabled by the user (bug
>  184812)

I'd love to but please look at the most recent comment I've made on the bug

> * have econf run ./configure with --disable-dependency-tracking and
>  --enable-fast-install (bug 211529)

+1 from me. Did we ever test autoconf 2.13 based stuff?

> * Limit values in $USE to ones in $IUSE (bug 176467). The existing
>  behaviour's majorly annoying; time for the package manager to start
>  enforcing things strictly.

definitely +1 from me. I've been trying to put kernel_linux and such in my
ebuilds already to improve this.

> Some things we should probably sort out:
>
> * The list of extensions for unpack probably needs a couple of new
>  things.

We also need a way for the actual program being used for the unpack to be
added to DEPEND.

> * Provide ebuilds a way to differentiate between updates and removals
>  (bug 205557), since the way devmanual says to do it got broken by a
>  non-EAPIed change. This one's slightly trickier than initially
>  apparent, because a solution's needed for the weird cases. One
>  example is if you have foo-1:1 and foo-2:2 installed, and you're
>  installing foo-2:1. In this case, it's both a reinstall and an
>  upgrade. One possibility is a REPLACING_VERSIONS variable that
>  contains a list of all versions being replaced, along with a
>  REPLACED_BY_VERSION variable for the pre/postrm part.

+1 from me

> Not sure if these can go in in time for Portage or not:
>
> * Utility commands, even the ones that aren't functions, should die. To
>  get a non-die version, prefix the command with nonfatal (e.g.
>  'nonfatal dodoc README', which just returns non-zero on failure
>  rather than splatting).

+1 from me

> * Calling unpack on an unrecognised extension should be fatal, unless
>  --if-compressed is specified. The default src_unpack needs to use
>  this.

+1 from me

> * pkg_info should work on things that aren't installed, as well as
>  things that are.

We'd need to properly educate people about this because I'm pretty sure a
bunch of pkg_info()'s require the actual package to be installed currently.