On 01:15 Mon 27 Apr     , Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> Well I'm more looking into giving upstream the possibility to pick
> what we've done by a single git cherry-pick or merge. format-patch
> works well, it's what I'm using to keep patches in sync with upstream
> changes but what I'm really looking for is a way to say to upstream
> "look, that's where patches for your project are hold in gentoo land,
> come and pick everything you think is worth it" (sure I can point to
> sources.gentoo.org but that's not what I'm looking for).

Ideally we could have vendor branches on the upstream git repo. It
doesn't get any easier to find than that.

Another option is to have a Gentoo-only repository. I think the best
approach for upstream is to have topic branches (each branch only has
patches related to one feature). A somewhat easier approach for us is to
just stick all the Gentoo patches on a single branch forked off the
upstream branch.

We could host repos on a Gentoo git server, a la
<http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/xserver.git;a=summary>.
If you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see a branch called
server-1.5-branch-exa-backports that can be compared with the upstream
server-1.5-branch.

See vcs-pkg.org for all kinds of ideas about how to handle this.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz