Thilo Bangert <bang...@gentoo.org> posted
200905101051.43926.bang...@gentoo.org, excerpted below, on  Sun, 10 May
2009 10:51:38 +0200:

> also, i feel voting for bugs is completely underutilized. votes make it
> apparent to the developers which bugs bug a lot of people. the incentive
> to fix those first is there...

Until recently, Gentoo's Bugzilla didn't even have the bug-votes feature
and some devs were actively against the idea if one read the debate here
on it.  The case they made was that bug votes reflect only user
popularity, and as such, often tend to obscure the "importance" of the
bug, arguments that they could simply ignore it if it wasn't useful info
for them not withstanding.  I expect there are still devs of that opinion.

I know I've never use the bug vote feature, partly because I simply
forget it's there now, and partly due to confusion from seeing the
earlier rants against it.  Such confusion makes for pretty strong
negative conditioning.