On 25-06-2009 22:57:08 +0100, AllenJB wrote:
> As a user, I'd like to encourage developers to make use of news items
> (eselect news) for important changes. I find them much more noticeable
> than elog messages (which, while I have set them up so they get emailed
> to me, I admit I don't always read). I think they're also easier to go
> back and re-read later (not everyone knows how to dig out old elog
> messages).

Maybe we should make an option to have portage not notice you of new
news messages until you have read it to make the feature more popular.

I personally felt after the java-config news message that it's more of a
bugger than a help, since I have many systems, and on all of them I had
to read it to get rid of the "waiting news message".

And no, excluding them in the rsync sync is not the option, as I want to
be able to read them if I don't recall the details any more...

just my 2 cents why I am avoiding adding news messages these days

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level